Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

Hello. I screwed up bigtime... Earlier this year, I took

Hello. I screwed up bigtime...

Earlier this year, I took an early distribution with penalty (long story) from brokerage A Traditional IRA account. I asked for $60k minus estimated tax withholding (+ 10% penalty. Needed it and hardship did not qualify for exemption from penalty). Good so far.

When doing this, however, I had the balance rolled over into brokerage B... Amt in excess of $100k.

2 checks arrived, but I thought the 2nd check was simply a payment notice to Brokerage B. not so. Rather -- it's an uncashed check that has been sitting on my desk for 5 months!!!

Brokerage A is unable to undo this since a 1099 has already been cut and it has been over 60 days. During this time I was under extreme duress and not taking care of business as needed.

I'm sending this check to Brokerage B today, but now how do I avoid taxes? Technically I suppose I owe for 2012 taxes because of this, but I reported that I'd rolled over the distro because I thought I had electronically.

What are my options?

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You are correct in the assessment of your situation.

Robin D :

There are times when a correction can be made but they involve the institution making the mistakes. As you physically received the check you would have to report it as income.

Robin D :

This is going to require that you amend your return.

Robin D :

I wish I could say that the IRS would allow a correction on this,

Customer: I guess I'm asking for advice with non-traditional solutions. Any chance the IRS has accepted grievance statement and lowered the penalty?
Robin D :

Not the 10% but any penalty for the balance due, yes.

Robin D :

You can request they abate any penalty that is added because of the underpayment of tax

Robin D :

Your reason does not even have to be good for a onetime request

Robin D :

Taxpayers are allowed that if it has never been asked for in past

Robin D :

The IRS waives the 60-day rollover requirement automatically only if all of the following apply:

• The financial institution receives the funds on your behalf before the end of the 60-day rollover period.

• You followed all the procedures set by the financial institution for depositing the funds into an eligible retirement plan within the 60-day period (including giving instructions to deposit the funds into an eligible retirement plan).

• The funds are not deposited into an eligible retirement plan within the 60-day rollover period solely because of an error on the part of the financial institution.

• The funds are deposited into an eligible retirement plan within 1 year from the beginning of the 60-day rollover period.

• It would have been a valid rollover if the financial institution had deposited the funds as instructed.

Robin D :

You can still ask them for a waiver.

Robin D :

In determining whether to grant a waiver, the IRS will consider all relevant facts and circumstances, including:

• whether errors were made by the financial institution (in addition to those described under automatic waiver, above);

• whether you were unable to complete the rollover due to death, disability, hospitalization, incarceration, restrictions imposed by a foreign country or postal error;

• whether you used the amount distributed (for example, in the case of payment by check, whether you cashed the check); and

• how much time has passed since the date of distribution.

Robin D :

The broker is most likely going to advise that you seek a tax professional to ask for the waiver

Customer:

I was hoping for lenience if I show it was in fact rolled over properly and never cashed, and then pay some kind of nominal penalty for having the funds available for that period exceeding 60 days -- 90 days in this case.

Robin D :

That is what the waiver request is for

Robin D :

The check was not given to the institution so the rollover was not done correctly but if you have a reason (like I listed above) then they may allow it.

Customer:

check cut 11/23/2012

Robin D :

Then you need to act fast and request the waivver to extend the 60 days

Robin D :

If the iRS grants it then you will not have any penalty and will not need to amend to include in your income

Customer:

will do. I suppose it only makes sense to continue with depositing the full, untaxed (nothing withheld) amount today into Brokerage B ?

Robin D :

If they will accept it yes

Robin D :

That will assist in showing that you really never had the funds

Robin D :

and that you were not attempting to use the funds for reasons othe rthan rollover

Customer:

Thing is -- I don't have $40k to pay in taxes/penalties right now, and the last thing I want is to dip into this again and get penalized 2x just to pay the taxes!

Robin D :

Right

Robin D :

The check may need to be reissued (depending on date) so call the broker today

Robin D :

explain that ou are going to request the waiver based on ...... and if the will accept the check then that is good

Customer:

But if I get it reissued it may have the appearance of impropriety, no?

Customer:

I guess that's why I wanted proof that this check never became cash in hand.

Robin D :

Not really, what if you had never received it? What if the check had been lost in the mail? What if? There are many reasons for checks being reissued.

Customer:

Well... if it gets reissued, it WILL become cash in hand in preparation for taxes, and IRS will not know that's why I did it.

Customer:

Will any accountant do for this type of request, or do I need a tax professional to prepare this for me?

Customer:

headed out; I'll return later this afternoon.

Robin D :

If your accountant does not know how to make the request for waiver Revenue Procedure 2013-4, Appendix A, contains a sample letter ruling request format. Appendix B contains a checklist of information that you should submit with ruling requests made under the revenue procedure.

Robin D :

Sorry for the delay before. I lost my connection.

Robin D :

The link above should be all your professional needs to prepare the request.

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.