How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask olwagner Your Own Question
olwagner, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 36
Experience:  I have 5 years of experience as a credit analyst and 2 years as a tax preparer. I have an advanced knowledge of issues affecting US citizens living abroad.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
olwagner is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Please can you assist me? I am located in Mauritius and am

Customer Question

Please can you assist me? I am located in Mauritius and am establishing a novel investment fund (which will be licenced by the FSC,in Mauritius and we will do all KYC, and due diligence, source of funds, and anti-money laundering checks on all potential investors). The fund is novel, as we have subscribed to various Investment Newsletters in the US, and have developed proprietary in-house software to 'amalgamate' the Newsletters 'picks' of listed securities into our portfolio, classified by conservative, medium or high risk, and also sector, retail, REITS, pharmaceuticals etc. Not more than 3% of the model portfolios will be invested in any one security. The model portfolio we have constructed is a balance of income and capital growth stocks. We understand that there is no Capital Gains tax payable by a Mauritian fund investing in the US through a US Broker (Interactive Brokers) London office is our proposed broker...but my question is mitigate or reduce the 30% withholding tax on dividends upon payments to the Mauritius fund by the listed US corporations what "Treaty Shopping" can be done to identify the most tax advantageous jurisdiction to reduce the withholding tax on dividends paid. When you have identified suitable jurisdictions we will use the Mauritius fund as a 'feeder fund' and incorporate and register and have the fund regulated in the most tax favourable jurisdiction. Also what procedure do we have to undertake to obtain consent to allow marketing of the fund to US Citizens/Residents/Green Card Holders? I look forward to the pleasure of hearing from you in reply, and in the meantime remain, with my best regards.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.
I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you with your Tax, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How thoughtful of you to drop me a line. Thank you.

Yes, it is a concern that having tried your service, and been satisfied with the first response, there is now nobody who can assist me further.

I will sadly have to cancel my subscription, if by Monday morning, no body can answer..... as I am sure you will appreciate .Please do all you can to assist which would be deeply appreciated and respected. I believe your service could be very beneficial to me.

Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.

Expert:  olwagner replied 3 years ago.
If you want to market to US citizens/ US residents, you'll have to comply with SEC rules. If you can limit your ads to accredited investors, you could viably do that. Else (i.e. marketing to the general public), it would be cost prohibitive.

I don't see how I could help with treaty shopping (it's a very advanced topic).

Also, for that type of question, I think that you'll have to look for somebody who's more of an attorney than an accountant.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply. Do I have to Register the offshore Mauritius Fund in the USA with the SEC if I go the Accredited Investor route? What is the procedure to obtain accredited investor status from the FSC?


I plan to advertise on BBC World News TV Channel on all beams which cover 202 Countries and Territories worldwide. What warning do I need to place to stop the US public (non-accredited investor) from responding to the infomercial? The infomercial will be a call to action style of advertisement which will direct viewers and thus responses to our specific web site for the fund? Look forward to hearing from you, and can you recommend somebody to identify the most tax advantageous jurisdiction for the establishment of the fund to obtain reduced withholding taxes on dividends?

Expert:  olwagner replied 3 years ago.
If your offering is less than $5 million, you can sell it to accredited investors without registering with the SEC. But you still wouldn't be able to advertise.

"Section 4(5) of the '33 Act exempts from registration offers and sales of securities to accredited investors when the total offering price is less than $5 million and no public solicitation or advertising is made. However, Regulation D does not address the offering of securities under this section of the '33 Act."

Else, you will at the very least have to register with the SEC under regulation D.

I doubt that you could advertise on BBC World, even with a Regulation D registration.

It seems plausible that you could on media if you have evidence that most viewers have a net worth of at least $1 million. And direct mailings to people you believe to have $1 million are ok.

But I encourage you to contact a securities' attorney as this is beyond the scope of my expertise.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience