Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My accountant says I should put 99 on Line 5 of W4 and not

My accountant says I should put 99 on Line 5 of W4 and not have payroll company use the regular tax calculator if I want to withhold more from my salary and so not having to pay so much for taxes at the end of the year. Can you please explain this more? As a follow up, is this actually acceptable? I mean, is this a usual procedure done by most people as well?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The situation with W4 form is as following...
The larger number of allowances you are using on W4 form - the less withholding.
Actually each allowance is equivalent of $3800 in additional deductions.
By declaring 99 allowances - you effectively telling that you expect deductions in about $380,000 - that might be not correct.
If you do not expect any tax liability -- you may use "EXEMPT" but need to verify your qualifications.
If you provide additional information about your income, filing status, deductions, etc - I will help to estimate your tax liability and withholding.

Customer:

I'm sorry, I don't get the $380K deductions (?)

Customer:

and "less withholding?" from where? regular salary?

LEV :

If you do not have such deduction - you should not claim 99 allowances on W4 form - but the number of allowances should correspond with your expected deductions.

Customer:

join income is approx. - $40 - $50K this year.

Customer:

filing status - married filing jointly

LEV :

Yes - W4 form affect withholding from your regular wages - not supplemental wages. Actually W4 form instruct the payroll person what amount should be withheld for income taxes - federal and state. There are special withholding tables.

Customer:

deductions? hmmmm... what would that be? we just sold our house and took home about $50K; currently living in an apartment so no mortgage and property tax to pay; no plans of buying house any soon.

Customer:

what other deductions would qualify?

LEV :

$40 - $50K this year - is that your only income or both spouses are working?

Customer:

by the way, I have 1 dependent - my 16-year old daughter. I have another daughter, 21 this month, and has filed her taxes since 2 years ago.

Customer:

40-50K is joint income

Customer:

it can go up a little more, if ever; but depending on projects coming; I have regular job and I do freelance as well.

LEV :

So you have one or two dependents?

Customer:

I only declare 1 - my 16-year old.

LEV :

Let me just estimate your tax liability
Assuming Adjusted Gross income (AGI) $50000 - assuming wages only.
Standard deduction $11900
Personal exemptions $11400 - including you, your spouse and your daughter
Taxable Income + $26700
Regular tax $3135
Child tax credit $1000 - for dependent below 17.
Tax after credits $2135 - that is your estimated tax liability

Customer:

tax liability - meaning, what I might pay IRS at tax year 2013?

Customer:

so, did my accountant suggest for me to put 99 on Line 5 so that I will have more withheld from regular salary and so I don't have paying that much by end of the year?

LEV :

What you might owe or if you will get a refund - depends on your withholding.
That is your estimated tax liability without withholding.

Customer:

by the way, I missed to say earlier that on Line 6, she asked me to put 83 if our payroll is bimonthly, so 160 if monthly I guess.

Customer:

I believe that Line 6 is the withholding (?)

LEV :

On line 6 form W4 is an additional dollar amount you want to withhold - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

LEV :

The number of allowances is reported on line 5.

Customer:

so, going back, with the 99 allowances and 160 every paycheck/mo, does that make my payments for taxes even out so that I may not owe much to federal at yearend for taxes?

LEV :

Because both - you and your spouse working - you need to check on W4 form "Married, but withhold at higher Single rate"
Each should use TWO allowances.
Plus - you may ONE allowance for your dependent daughter and TWO additional allowances if she is below 17 on last day of the year (to reflect child tax credit).

LEV :

so, going back, with the 99 allowances and 160 every paycheck/mo, does that make my payments for taxes even out so that I may not owe much to federal at year end for taxes?
That will be actually a "trick around the withholding system - and will result in $160*12=$3200 in withholding.

Customer:

3,200 withholding, meaning, may be refunded to me or not, depending on how much I will end up paying federal (?)

LEV :

Will your daughter be 16 on Dec 31, 2013?

Customer:

also, which part of W4 will I put "married, but withhold at higher single rate?"

Customer:

no 17 by end of the year. her bday is nov

LEV :

See form here - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf - that is on line 3.

Customer:

ok-- so with these suggestions, you are saying to put 99 is wrong?

LEV :

That means - you will not have child tax credit for her in 2013...
and your estimated tax liability would be $3135

LEV :

Yes - you may not report 99 allowances because you do not expect such large deductions.

Customer:

so what should I put in allowances? sorry, I am now getting confused

Customer:

but the 83 is okay? I mean the 160 per monthly paycheck?

LEV :

so what should I put in allowances? sorry, I am now getting confused.
Each should use TWO allowances.
Plus - you may ONE allowance for your dependent daughter - may be used by either you or your spouse.

LEV :

If you are using the number of allowances correctly - you do not need any additional withholding.

Customer:

so, to clarify further, if I pursued putting 99 for allowances, what would that mean by yearend? I mean, what are the consequences in terms of my tax filing?

LEV :

so, to clarify further, if I pursued putting 99 for allowances, what would that mean by year end? I mean, what are the consequences in terms of my tax filing?
That will not affect your tax filing and your tax liability - that will only affect your withholding.
By declaring 99 allowances - you effectively telling that you expect deductions in about $380,000 - that is correct. The result of declaring 99 allowances will result NO income tax withholding.

Customer:

again, withholding, meaning from regular salary, right?

LEV :

Yes - from regular wages.

Customer:

okay, I just pulled up form... and I saw Line 3 - married , but withhold at higher single rate. I don't understand though what I will put then on Line 5

LEV :

If you have supplemental wages - such as bonuses, or other one time payments - withholding is generally 25%

Customer:

no, not in my regular job

Customer:

I have no supplemental wages in regular job

LEV :

okay, I just pulled up form... and I saw Line 3 - married , but withhold at higher single rate. I don't understand though what I will put then on Line 5.
Each should use TWO allowances.

Customer:

so, I can do 3 for my LIne 5; and 2 for my husband's Line 5

LEV :

so, I can do 3 for my Line 5; and 2 for my husband's Line 5
That would be correct way of using W4 form in your situation.

Customer:

going back to withholding of 25%, so I will have none of that because I don't have supplemental wage, right?

LEV :

That is correct.

Customer:

actually, neither will my husband because he doesn't have supplemental wages as well.

Customer:

wait, what about director's fee? is that considered a supplemental wage?

LEV :

That depends on the payer. If it is paid every pay period - that is a regular wages. But if paid ones per year - that might be a supplemental wages.

Customer:

not regular, but can also be none in one year. last we had was 2 years ago, I think.

Customer:

finally, just out of curiosity, would 99 allowance then be more practical if I still owned a house?

Customer:

my mortgage then was definitely more than $3K a month; with property taxes, about $4K/mo

LEV :

By declaring 99 allowances - you effectively telling that you expect deductions in about $380,000 - which is NOT correct. The only purpose fro that is to "trick" the withholding system and not to have any withholding.
If you were owned the house - and if you itemize your deduction - you should use ONE additional allowance for each $3800 in deductions above your standard deduction.
So in this case - you need to estimate your itemized deduction, subtract the amount of standard deduction and divide the result by $3800 - that will be the number of additional allowances which should be divided between you and your spouse.

LEV :

So assuming your itemized deduction would be $30,000 (that includes mortgage interest, property and real estate taxes, state taxes, charitable contributions, etc) - that might result 4 or 5 additional allowances which must be divided between you and your spouse.

Customer:

and now that I don't own a house, I don't think I would have any qualified deduction (?)

Customer:

what would be qualified deductions for a non-homeowner?

LEV :

Most likely - you will use standard deduction and personal exemptions.
Standard deduction $11900

Customer:

ok. by the way, in filing taxes-- is it important to use same address in 1040 and W-9 and W-4? I plan to get P.O. Box for my business (sole proprietor) and willb eusing for my clients and vendors. Of course I 'd have to give clients my W-9 also through course of dealing with them-- can I put my P.O. Box in W-9? But then since me and my husband are filing taxes, obviously we use our home address for that. Will that be a problem?

LEV :

You may use ANY address including PO box. There is no law to require any specific address to be sued. That is your choice.

Customer:

Ok, thanks. You've been a great help.

LEV :

You are welcome.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations