Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I recieved a settlement check as an agreement between federal

I recieved a settlement check as an agreement between federal banking regulators and JPMorgan Chase. Is this money going to bee taxable for 2014.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com!

It depends. What is the reason behind the settlement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

In connection with an enforcement action related to deficient mortgage servicing and foreclosure processes

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
It has been 2 HRS and no answer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
It has been 2 HRS and no answer
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Sorry for the long wait. The other expert who was assisting you has stepped away for a while, but I will help you with your issue.

In this case, your lawsuit proceeds will be taxable unfortunately. This is not due to any physical harm, and the proceeds are more punitive in nature. You should remit an estimated tax payment if taxes are not withheld from the settlement.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Again, I'm sorry for your wait. Once you have reviewed my answer, if you have further questions please reply. Otherwise, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.
Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level