Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

If a non-employee exercises his options, does the plan sponsor

If a non-employee exercises his options, does the plan sponsor (the company) have any responsibility to submit taxes on his behalf or do they just report the taxable income (the spread) on a 1099? BTW - It is Canadian company and a US based consultant.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you today?

MyVirtualCPA :

If you are a non-employee, the amount will be shown to the IRS on form 1099-MISC and there is no withholding requirement

MyVirtualCPA :

However, the non-employee should calculate his or her estimated tax and submit an estimated payment to the IRS by filling out form 1040-ES

MyVirtualCPA :

So, to answer your question, they will just report the taxable income to the IRS

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Linda

I am sorry, but we are having technical difficulties and I noticed that you are online waiting for an answer, yet were unable to join the chat. If you cannot view my response, let me know and I will copy it for you here. Otherwise, please rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

If you have further questions, please reply via the button below

Thanks!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi it looks like we are connected now

Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Yes, Linda we are. Do you have any further questions for me? My response was:

How are you today?

If you need more information, please reply. Otherwise, you can rate my response as "excellent" so that I can receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I can't figure out how to rate you. This site is veny clunky....
Expert:  Megan C replied 4 years ago.
Linda

It looks like you have rated. I received credit for the answer. Thank you.

There must be a site glitch and instead of "rating" there may be an accept button. The accept button does the same thing as giving a positive rating.

Thanks again!