Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

My out of State college age daughter worked for three Ohio

My out of State college age daughter worked for three Ohio restaurants this past summer. I have all her W2s and 1099s, except one restaurant. I have telephoned the restaurant 3 times. No W2 results and no call back. I have written them and provided a SASE for their convenience to mail me the W2. Still no results. My tax preparer, who is doing her taxes, has all her pay stubs and 1099s to do her 1040. We do not have the Federal ID for the the restaurant who will not send the remaining W2. The tax preparer filed an extension because of this. My tax preparer states the IRS will not like listing income without the Federal Id of the employer. What are my and my daughter's remedies to get the former employer on the ball so she can file her taxes?

MyVirtualCPA :

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

MyVirtualCPA :

How are you tonight?

MyVirtualCPA :

I understand you are frustrated. However, in Mid May you can order your daughter's wage and income transcript from the IRS...it will give you the information from all the employers who reported income for your daughter.

MyVirtualCPA :

It should have the Federal ID number on it as well

MyVirtualCPA :

This is free

MyVirtualCPA :

If the restaurant did not report a W-2 to the IRS then include the income on line 21 as other income as tax software generally won't let you put W-2 wages in without a Federal ID number

Customer:

Where do I call or write in Mid May to get a wage and income transcript from the IRS? Is there a standard form to use?

MyVirtualCPA :

You use form 4506-T and select option 8

MyVirtualCPA :

http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

Customer:

does the from state where to mail it?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can also call 1-800-829-1040 and ask for it

Customer:

even if it for my adult daughter?

Customer:

is

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the address to mail it is on the instructions which are in the same link as the form

MyVirtualCPA :

She can call...

Customer:

Mid may it is I guess. Thank You. How do i print this dialogue to remember the instructions?

MyVirtualCPA :

You can use your browser's print function

MyVirtualCPA :

Also, if I have helped you with your issue, please take a moment to rate my response as "excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.