Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Property tax payment has one year lag/delay in Iowa where I

Property tax payment has one year lag/delay in Iowa where I lived.
In house sale in year 2012, there was a property tax proration $5,744 covering July 2011 to July 2012 before the house sale date, that I had not paid due to the one year lag.

Based on Realtor's request, I paid that part to the buyer to cover the lagged part of property tax $5,744, and this was listed in HUD.
Can I use this part in my tax deduction in year 2012?

Thank you.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

You should be able to deduct the payment as long as you can document the payment by the closing documents and your check.

Stephen G :

In other words that the payment was for real estate taxes.

Customer:

Yes

Stephen G :
id="yiv9844483313yui_3_7_2_34_1363549301471_39">If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Thanks very much, Steve G.
Customer:

So is there any house sale loss that can be tax deducted?

Stephen G :

This was your personal residence or second home?

Customer:

Second home

Stephen G :

No. Any loss would not be deductible.

Customer:

I transferred a $1350 credit to buyer for radon mitigation as his condition of purchase. Is this part tax deductible?

Stephen G :

No.

Customer:

Okay. Got it. Thank you.

Stephen G :

Just real estate taxes and mortgage interest on a second home.

Customer:

Got it. Thanks. Bye.

Stephen G :

Please remember to rate my response, it is the only way we get credit for our work.

Customer:

Okay