How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

1. As a sole proprietor licensed real estate agent actively

This answer was rated:

1. As a sole proprietor licensed real estate agent actively involved in real estate, can I open a Solo 401 K and contribute to it income other than earnings from real estate (such as from a pension) up to the allowable maximum amount?
2. Can I deposit in my solo 401 k proceeds from the sale of a rental property that I bought before I got my real estate license, up to the maximum amount allowed. Note: I was an “active participant” in managing this rental property, but it was considered a passive activity with carry-over losses from previous years in tax returns because I did not spend more than 750 hours or more than 50% of my time involved in real estate.
3. If I do not sell the above rental property, after I get my real estate license and work actively in real estate, can I deduct the cumulative carry-over losses in my first year working as a real estate agent, or do I need to wait until I sell the property to claim the multiyear losses.
4. If I QuitClaim a property that is held in my name to Tenants by the Entirety with my wife, won’t the transfer be considered a gift to my wife and be subject to income tax.
5. After I get my my real estate license and plan to actively work in real estate. can I deduct losses from a rental property from my ordinary income if I spend more than 750 hours managing that property in that year and spent more than half of my time involved in real estate? In the year they are incurred?
6. Do I have to pay self-employment social security tax on my real estate earnings.
Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

You may contribute to a single person 401(k) up to your income from active real estate activities. Active real estate activities does NOT include net income from rentals. It would include broker commissions and other wage or commission income as a self-employed person filing either Sch C or receiving income on a K-1 from your partnership or S Corp.

You can deposit into this plan any previously taxed funds, no matter where they come from.

Note: If this entire question revolves around rental income, then real estate professional or not, NONE qualifies as EARNED income which is required for ANY type of retirement contribution.

Deductibility of real estate losses does first depend on any limits imposed by your income. If you meet the tests, UP TO $25K of losses can be deducted against ordinary income. Prior year Passive Losses may be released if you became a R/E Professional during the year, but again, you still have a limit.

You will pay SE Tax on any net income from self employment; again NOT from rental activities.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you. Three follow-up questions:


1. You refer to "ordinary income" and "earned income". I am retired and receive a yearly pension of $175,000 including social security, and have been paying taxes on it. My wife has a pension of $140,000 and we have been filing jopintly. Are pension benefits considered ordinary but not earned income, and if so I guess I cannot put part of that money in a solo 401 K up to the maximum allowed per year. Correct? But, as a self-employed real estate agent, please confirm that I can contribute to a solo 401 K from "previously tax funds" including previously taxed pension income?


2. I take it that I cannot deduct up to $25,000 of rental losses because the deductability phases out after income reaches $150,000 even if my income from real estate is less than $100,000. Correct? In which case, is the only way to deduct the $75,000 cummulative loss from this rental property when I sell the property? That $75,000 loss includes straight-line depreciation; how much will need to be recaptured.

Pensions are "ordinary" income in that it is taxed at the ordinary wage rate.

Pensions are NOT earned income.

You cannot rollover pension funds ton IRA or 401k contribution

If you deposited your pension cash into your bank account, you may certainly use that cash to fund your eligible 401(k)

You are correct that you have no eligible loss because it is subject t Passive Activity Loss limitations. The income limit is based on ALL sources.

Your loss carries forward until you sell the property.

R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3374
Experience: Over 20 Years experience
R. Klein, EA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience

Related Tax Questions