Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am a sole proprietor in Washington state. There are no state

I am a sole proprietor in Washington state. There are no state taxes for individuals, but there is state business tax. I am unsure as to where to report these taxes on my federal tax return. Do they qualify as estimated tax payments or do they go somewhere else (or not at all)?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 3 years ago.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "estimated payments". On your federal return estimated payments are payments toward your final federal tax or state individual income tax which you don't have in Washington state.

Stephen G :

Are you talking about where to report them on your personal return? Is that where you are reporting your business activity, on a Schedule C? If so, that's where the Washington state business tax would be reported on your federal return.

Stephen G :

If that isn't what you mean, please clarify further exactly what you are asking.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It seemed like that was the case. So when I am entering in my business information on my federal tax return, where would I put the information about the amount of taxes I have paid to the state?

Schedule C, line 23

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

id="yiv1489133708yui_3_7_2_34_1363549301471_39">You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Thanks very much, Steve G.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do report business earnings/activity on a schedule C. So there is a part there to report taxes paid to the state?
As noted above Schedule C line 23

Hope you received that..............

Any other questions?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Oops. Didn't see that. Thanks!!