How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 53498
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Complex short sale situation, 4797? 1099c?

This answer was rated:

I am trying to complete my taxes using TurboTax Premier Online and have a complex short-sale situation.


  • I purchased a home in 2007 for 289k

  • I lived in during 2008 I rented the home during 2009 & 2010 with serious passive losses totaling 60k

  • In order to have a short sale accepted I stopped renting it in 2011 The short sale went through in 2012 for 127k with 16k in fees I paid

  • I received 1099c for 143k


I am trying to figure out if I have to fill out form 4797 for the sale, but then I also have to enter 1099c. Since I didn't rent it in 2012, it is also saying I can be relieved of the 1099c income. I'm not sure how to classify the property in these different sections.

Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. Under Section 121, if you used this house as your principal residence for an aggregate of 2 years out of the preceding 5 years, it qualifies as your principal residence. You won't report the sale on Form 4797. Rather, you'll report the short sale transaction on Schedule D and Form 8949. Then, with regard to the forgiveness of debt evidence by the Form 1099-C, normally, debt forgiveness results in taxable income. But under the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007, taxpayers may exclude debt forgiven on their principal residence if the balance of their loan was $2 million or less. The limit is $1 million for a married person filing a separate return. To exclude the 1099-C amount you will complete Form 982 and attach it to your Form 1040. The law has now been extended through the end of December 2013. As clearly outlined by the Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act, the IRS defines principal residence according to Section 121 of the IRS code, which states that it had to have been the person's principal residence for 2 of the past 5 years before the date of the sale (or foreclosure with regards XXXXX XXXXX Mortgage Debt Relief).

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the answer... I typed out a whole response and some how it didn't save! GAH! Ok here goes again. but much shorter and too the point this time :)


What gives me pause is this:


If I list the short sale on 4797 (because I was using Schedule E in previous years and tracking passive losses and depreciation) I have a business loss of 178k. Because I can't qualify to claim the 143k in forgiven debt, I have to claim it as income. When I do this I end up owing a few thousand dollars in taxes.

(further more, TurboTax for some reason won't let you enter a 1099c that you received on a rental property... so I have to list it as personal debt forgiveness to even get it to enter)


If I list the short sale on Schedule D as you say, and I list the 1099c as coming from my main home, the debt is forgiven as income, but I end up owing twenty thousand dollars in extra taxes!


I can't seem to figure out why that would be. Reading your answer, it sounds like you are saying I should be happy to list it on Schedule D, but my point is that I am actually not! Is there a method for listing it on 4797 and a situation where it may be more advantageous to do so?

Thanks for following up. You are in a bit of a catch-22. It can't be both rental property and your principal residence. If it's your principal residence, you can't take the loss from the sale. But, if you claim it as rental property and take the loss, though you would not be eligible for the exclusion of the debt forgiveness due to the property not being your principal residence, there is also another exclusion you might be able to use that would exclude the forgiveness of debt. That's the insolvency exclusion...if your liabilities exceed your basis immediately before the forgiveness, then you can exclude it on Form 982 as you the best of both worlds.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for all this. Last question:


When I put the 1099c on there and the home is on a schedule D, I am getting a 11k tax bill from the state of Massachusetts taxing the entire forgiven debt amount at 5.25%. Does Mass not recognize the federal exemption for short sale of a primary residence in their state taxes?

You're's my pleasure.

Pursuant to the Massachusetts Department of Revenue (

"The Mortgage Forgiveness Debt Relief Act of 2007 (P.L. 110-142) amended I.R.C. §108(a) by adding an exclusion for indebtedness that is discharged before January 1, 2010 and is qualified principal residence indebtedness. The Economic Stabilization Act of 2008 extended this exclusion until January 1, 2013. Massachusetts does not adopt this exclusion or the extension.."

I'm sorry!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 53498
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience