Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

can a non-profit private volunteer fire department solicit

can a non-profit private volunteer fire department solicit donations for a subscription for emergency response as a tax deductible donation?
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an Arizona attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Not sure I understand your question...you want to know if donations to a Arizona Fire Department are tax deductible.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have a non-profit private fire department. Not a Fire Tax District. We ask for citizens to subscribe for a membership instead of being billed. The membership is a lower rate than being billed for a call. can the members deduct the membership fee as a donation to the fire dept.

That I do not know..that sounds like fee for service...which would not be deductible...but let me send you to a tax attorney. Just a moment please.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.

Thank you for allowing me to be of service to you regarding your tax question. Generally, if a person receives a benefit as a result of making a contribution to a qualified organization, that person can deduct only the amount of the contribution that is more than the value of the benefit that is received. I hope this information is helpful to you.
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience: 18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your information. It has been very helpful.

Robert

It's my pleasure. Please take a moment to rate my answer to you since that is an important aspect of being an expert on JustAnswer/Pearl, and I strive for excellence in my answers. Thank you and best regards.