Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
54321014

I just got married in October 2012. My spouse wants to file

I just got married in October 2012. My spouse wants to file separately. So do i file single or file separate married? Also, if i file married separate do i have to enter there name, and social security number, and would they also have to sign the tax returns?

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for your question.

If you are married and have lived together anytime the last half of the year, you must file MFJ or MFS. Single is not an option. If you choose to file a MFS return, you will each have to include the name and SSN of your spouse under the spouse information. You will not have to sign your spouse' s return and your spouse will not have to sign your return. This is a separation of liability. This means you will not be liable for what your spouse puts on his/her return and they will not be liable for what you put on your return.

Please let me know if you need additional clarification.

I look forward to your response.

Stephanie

Customer:

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX help Stephanie

You are very welcome!!