Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

Customer Question

In 2011 I used Turbo Tax to prepare taxes for Robert X. and Wanda X. XXXXXXXXXX after that filing I used the same program to file a tax return for my son Robert X. XXXXXXXXXX, now I want to prepare 2012 taxes and want to IMPORT tax information from 2011 file, but only get my son Robert E. XXXXXXXXX 2011 information? How can I retrive Robert & Wanda's information ??

Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 3 years ago.

Randalltax :

Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

Randalltax :

If you are using desktop TurboTax (not an online version), you can start a new file by going to the very top menu and selecting FILE / NEW TAX RETURN

Randalltax :

Randalltax :

The NEXT Screen will give you the option to transfer a prior year file it finds on your machine. If it does not automatically find the file you need, there is an option in Blue to BROWSE FILES on your computer.

Randalltax :

If this information answers your question, please provide a positive rating. If you need further assistance, please ask before rating the answer. Thanks!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not receive an answer that helped me get data to allow me to import requested data. I eventually got some imported from Fidelity Investments but did the rest by typing in data myself.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 3 years ago.

For future reference, if you used the online version of TurboTax, you can only do one return on that version. So, if you complete a return and want to do another return, you have to remove the first taxpayer's data from the program in order to do a second return. Once you do that, you can't retrieve the first tax return's data. Possibly, that's what happened to you. If that is the case, the other expert couldn't have helped you retrieve that data. Perhaps he doesn't deserve a "Bad Service" rating?