Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

is there a way to verify that my ex-husband has NOT claimed

Customer Question

is there a way to verify that my ex-husband has NOT claimed the children on his 2012 tax returns?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. In order to see if your ex husband has not claimed the children you would attempt to e-file your return. If your ex husband claimed the children then your return will reject as the IRS will already have a record of your dependent being claimed on a return. If your return goes through, then the children have not been claimed.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there a way to find the answer without having to file my taxes. I need to know if he did or did not claim her for a (college) financial aid application.

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Aside from asking your ex if he claimed the children or not there's no way to check. The IRS will not release personal information about someone else's return. The truly only way to find this out would be to file your taxes. I'm sorry if this is not optimal in your situation. I realize this may pose some difficulties for you. Please don't shoot the messenger. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great night.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No worries. I understand you are just answering my question. Thank you for your time and for answering my question.

Have a nice evening.

Chrissy

Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Chrissy. Please take a moment to rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for helping you with your question.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great night.
Expert:  Megan C replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer