Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

If I did not work the entire year, did not receive unemployment,

If I did not work the entire year, did not receive unemployment, but had to take money from my retirement savings for living expenses and to move over 1100 miles to get a job, what IRS and California tax forms do I file?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You will file form 1040 for your Federal income tax, and form 540 for your California tax.

If there's anything else that you need, please feel free to let us know.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. I understand about the 1040 and the 540; my question is if it was not employment income and the 1040 asks for the amount on the W2 (which I would not have received), are there additional forms I need to file in this case, i.e. 1099 or something near that? I could not locate this info at the IRS.gov site or online searching and I am desperate to resolve this -- I do not have the money to pay someone to do my taxes, so I need to do this myself. Thank you

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You will not file a 1099, you will receive a 1099 from the company that handled your retirement account. This income will go on line 16 of your tax return. Also, if your move is to work in your same line of work, then you would have to file schedule A and itemize your deduction to be able to deduct your moving costs.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. But I will not be able to claim the individual tax credit that shows on the 1040, am I correct? How do I deal with this part of the form (think lines 1 thru 8?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
You only have to include amounts on lines where you have income. Lines 1-8 give your personal information, exemptions, wages, and Interest.

There's no individual tax credit that I am aware of this year.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using justAnswer.com and have a great night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry, I meant exemptions. The end line will be zero, I assume, but then the total will be a negative. This makes no sense.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes, you will claim your personal exemptions. If your taxable income is negative, that means you owe no tax.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That sounds good! Thank you so much for your patience and assistance. Have a good night!Smile

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
You too - please don't forget to rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Have a great night!