Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues

I live in Oregon 01/01/2012 to 06/30/2012 (State Tax, no Sales

Customer Question

I live in Oregon 01/01/2012 to 06/30/2012 (State Tax, no Sales Tax) and in Texas 07/01/2012 to 12/31/2012 (Sales Tax, no State Tax). Form 1040 only allows me to select one or the other. So, which ever I choose, I lose 6 months of tax deductions. Since neither of these States taxes overlap, is there a way to declare both deductions?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

You don't lose anything on your federal return, that is 12 months for everything; when you get to your Oregon return, you will file a Part-year residence return for the period you lived in Oregon; Oregon will only tax the income you earned there while a resident, so there will be no state tax anywhere for the last half of 2012 while you were a Texas resident.

Stephen G :

You can only deduct any allowable expenses on your Oregon return for the 1st 6 months of 2012 while you were an Oregon resident.

Stephen G :

Does this make sense to you now?

Customer :

My problem is with the Federal form only letting me use either Oregon's state tax or Texas' sales tax

Stephen G :

Oregon has no sales tax, correct?

Customer :

Correct

Stephen G :

You can't use the Texas sales tax for when you lived in Oregon; you can only use the Texas sales tax for the last half of the year & you can use the Oregon income tax for the 1st half of the year; just use your Oregon withholding (which may add to the Texas sales tax automatically).

Stephen G :

If you're concerned about the program doing what you want, just figure the Texas sales tax & add it to the Oregon income tax withholding and enter into the program yourself.

Customer :

i have no problem with completing my Oregon return (pary year resident)> I'm not declaring Texas taxes on it. On line 5 of the 1040 Federal form, I have to select which of the two types of tax I want to declare.

Customer :

THat in schedule A Itemized deductions

Stephen G :

Yes, Schedule A

Stephen G :

Sorry I had to take a brb

Stephen G :

Anything else?

Stephen G :
If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble I would appreciate it if you would answer it; the survey results are used to rate our performance;

Thanks very much, Steve G.

Customer :

This doen't answer my question.

Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience: Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

I apologize; I thought you were satisfied. I would recommend that you check off "income tax" which will pick up the Oregon income tax, and then on the input for Schedule A, you would enter the Texas sales tax for the last half of the year.

or

You could do what I suggested above & simply figure the deduction yourself, check nothing off & enter the total yourself for the input for Schedule A.

You have to understand that we don't support TurboTax, basically we are here to answer tax questions for a fee, but we don't support or recommend any specific software. I use TurboTax myself so I do know something about how it works.

If this still isn't clear, let me know & I'll go into my own program and get the specific references for you, although you seem to know your way around the program, so I doubt that will be necessary.

I want you to be satisfied so that you will be able to upgrade your rating of my response to something better than "OK Service" which is way below my average ratings.