Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My wife and I sold our house in June 2012. What does this

My wife and I sold our house in June 2012. What does this question mean?

Do you wish to use the available main house sale exclusion dor sales after May 6, 1997.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. When you sell your principal residence, you are eligible for an exclusion from capital gains from the sale of your principal residence of up to $250,000 ($500,000, if married). That means that up to $500,000 of gain can be excluded from being taxable, so, yes, you would want to take advantage of this exclusion. You can find a full explanation of this exclusion and the requirements in IRS Publication 523 which you can find at : http://www.irs.gov/publications/p523/ar02.html#en_US_2012_publink1000200709

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!