Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

In box 12a there is a code DD and a dollar amount. I understand

In box 12a there is a code DD and a dollar amount. I understand that the code represents the employer sponsored health coverage but can the dollar amount be included as an itemized deduction as an insurance premium under medical and dental expenses? Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. This amount is not taxable, and it is also not deductible. This is an amount that your employer paid on your behalf for medical care. It would not be appropriate to deduct this amount because you did not pay it. This is for informational purposes only.

I'm truly sorry if this is not news that you wanted to hear. However, I have a duty to inform you of the tax code as it stands so you can make decisions accordingly. Please don't shoot the messenger. The ratings you give reflect on me personally, and I am penalized by the site for anything less than "okay service."

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great afternoon.
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.