Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

Florida resident passed away, checking account,mutual fund

Florida resident passed away, checking account,mutual fund in decedent and son's name.According to Florida law joint ownership not probateable. Son want to distribute balance of checking /mutual fund with siblings. An accountant said cut certified checks and he would file forms for state/federal and there would beno taxes incurred? Is this correct. Total of assets $400,000.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Your accountant is correct. These amount paid to the siblings would be considered gifts. But, there would be no taxes on the transfers. A recipient of a gift does not pay gift tax. And, from the son's standpoint as a donor, there should also be no gift tax consequences. Each donor can give $14,000 per year per person under the annual gift exclusion. In addition to that, each person has a $5,120,000 lifetime exemption....which means a person can give a cumulative amount of up to $5,120,000 in gifts without incurring gift tax....the donor must file a gift tax return to let the IRS know how much of the lifetime exemption is being used, but there will be no gift tax until cumulative gifts have exceeded the $5,120,000.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So this would reduce my lifetime gift transfer amount by $300,000 or what ever the final amount ends up being? Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX want to make sure on the tax side prior to cutting the checks.. Regards, David

Thanks for following up. That is correct. You first get to take advantage of the $14,000 per donee annual gift exclusion which doesn't count against your lifetime limit.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!