Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have an (S) Corp consultancy, which provides paid family

I have an (S) Corp consultancy, which provides paid family health insurance, including doctor and RX co-pays, and health club as executive benefits.

I have heard this is allowed for (C) Corps but not (S) Corps.

I have this benefit entered into our Minutes. Do I need to do anything else to deduct this benefit?

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
It is possible that S-corporation pays medical insurance and some other medial benefits. These payments are treated as fringe benefits - and generally are reported as wages unless specifically allowed to be deducted as business related expenses.
For details - I suggest this IRS publication - Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p15b.pdf
Specifically for medical insurance deduction is allowed on from 1040 as an adjustment of income. There are certain conditions for S-corporation owners - see instructions for line 29 - http://www.irs.gov/file_source/pub/irs-pdf/i1040.pdf

If you are a more-than-2% shareholder in an S corporation, the policy can be either in your name or in the name of the S corporation. You can either pay the premiums yourself or the S corporation can pay them and report them as wages. If the policy is in your name and you pay the premiums yourself, the S corporation must reimburse you. You can deduct the premiums only if the S corporation reports the premiums paid or reimbursed as wages in box 1 of your Form W-2 in 2012 and you also report the premium payments or reimbursements as wages on Form 1040, line 7.

But if you were also eligible to participate in any subsidized health plan maintained by your or your spouse's employer for any month or part of a month in 2012, amounts paid for health insurance coverage for that month cannot be used to figure the deduction. Also, if you were eligible for any month or part of a month to participate in any subsidized health plan maintained by the employer of either your dependent or your child who was under age 27 at the end of 2012, do not use amounts paid for coverage for that month to figure the deduction.

JACUSTOMER-mg9otism- :

Hi Lev,

LEV :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-mg9otism- :

I am more than a 2% shareholder.

LEV :

So - you are eligible to deduct medical insurance premiums on 1040 line 29 based on conditions outlined in instructions.

JACUSTOMER-mg9otism- :

Then, as I understand it, as the amounts paid for health insurance would be otherwise reported as income, I can deduct these amounts paid?

LEV :

You could be eligible to deduct medical insurance premiums on 1040 line 29 based on conditions outlined in instructions.

LEV :

All other medical expenses may be deducted on schedule A line 1 - subject of AGI limitations.

JACUSTOMER-mg9otism- :

Thank you!

JACUSTOMER-mg9otism- :

How do I get a copy of this chat?

LEV :

Please provide the information above to your accountant for considerations.

LEV :

You may copy the text and paste into your local document, or - you may come back to this page later - here is the address - http://www.justanswer.com/tax/7o7pi-s-corp-consultancy-provides-paid-family.html

LEV :

Let me know if you need any help.

Just in case you were not able to use the chat - I am switching to Q&A mode and porting the answer below.
Please feel free to communicate if you need any clarification or have other tax related issues.

Let me know if you need any help.