Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

May I use the cash value of a whole life insurance policy for

May I use the cash value of a whole life insurance policy for a house down payment without getting taxed?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Your life insurance withdrawals are taxed to the extent that your withdrawals exceed your basis in the policy. So, if you have paid in $10,000 into your policy and withdraw $15,000 then you would have $5,000 of tax. Your life insurance company should be able to inform you how much of your cash withdrawal is taxable or not. There is no exception for purchasing a home.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok..so if the basic policy coverage was for $10k and the cash value is currently $11, 362 I should be in the clear for taxation? Crossing fingers. I need this for down payment.

Thank you for your follow up. It all depends on what you have paid into the policy. Your insurance broker should be able to tell you what your basis is.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer and have a great day.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please come back and see me next time you have a question. It was a pleasure working with you today. Have a great afternoon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you!

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.