Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hi got a couple of tax questions; Can i claim sales tax on

Hi got a couple of tax questions; Can i claim sales tax on purchases as a deduction, can I claim interest paid on credit card debt as a deduction, and can I claim support monies sent to my wife and stepdaughter who lives in the Philippines? Thanks for your response.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

MyVirtualCPA : Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.
MyVirtualCPA : How are you tonight
Customer:

I am fine thank you

MyVirtualCPA :

That's good

MyVirtualCPA :

You can claim sales tax or state income tax, but not both

MyVirtualCPA :

And you have to itemize your deductions to do so.

MyVirtualCPA :

Support sent to your wife abroad is not tax deductible unless it's alimony - which is for those who are divorced or under separate maintenance agreements

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm sorry if this news is not ideal, or not what you had hoped to hear. Please don't shoot the messenger!

MyVirtualCPA :

Have a great night, and please rate my answer so that I may receive credit for assisting today

Customer:

what about interest paid to credit cards

MyVirtualCPA :

No that is not deductible

Customer:

what happened to my free follow up question by my last "just answer. tax"

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm not sure what you mean?

Customer:

just thought i was entittle to free follow up questions is that the case with you and me now

MyVirtualCPA :

If you sign up for a subscription I think you can ... but I'm an expert and I don't negotiate payment directly with customers

Customer:

my last expert suggested to me I should file for an extension before the april 15th deadline then when my wife comes here may 11 she will get her ssan 3 weeks later to file married jointly, when does the extension expires and what form should I use to do my filing and is there any online services I can use that is reliable and inexpensive

MyVirtualCPA :

Thank you for your follow up. What your last expert suggested sounds correct. The extension is until October 15

MyVirtualCPA :

You will use form 1040 for your filing, and you can use HR Block Online

Customer:

can my form be filled up online because I understand the forms must be typed its hard to fine a typewriter nowadays, do you know the fee for the H&R online service?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, I don't know their fees. It varies by the difficulty of your return. You would need to go to www.hrblock.com

Customer:

I made less than $1,000 doing a little farming, what form do I use even though I do not receive a 1099 from the buyer, and can I use cost associated with the farming as deductions?

MyVirtualCPA :

You will use schedule F and yes you can deduct the cost associated with the farming.

Customer:

can I claim medical Insurance cost that i paid and my emplyer paid towards my coverage?

MyVirtualCPA :

Typically you cannot deduct the premium you paid for coverage from your employer because that is paid for pre-tax

Customer:

can I claim mileage n from work, and when you say typically you mean maybe, yes or no?

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you may not deduct mileage to and from work.

MyVirtualCPA :

I mean no you cannot deduct coverage you pay for pre-tax from your employer

Customer:

i mean the medical insurance paid pretaxed

MyVirtualCPA :

No you can't deduct that

Customer:

can I claim food as a deduction

MyVirtualCPA :

No you may not claim food as a deduction

Customer:

can you tell me the basic deductions beside mortgage interest, state and federal income taxes, monies placed in a retirement fund, medical insurance premiums and cost(?), ?

MyVirtualCPA :

real estate taxes

MyVirtualCPA :

gifts to charity

MyVirtualCPA :

Tax preparation fees

MyVirtualCPA :

these are the basic ones.

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else I can help you with tonight?

MyVirtualCPA :

Please take a moment to rate my response as excellent so that I may receive credit for helping you tonight

Customer:

are your fees tax deductible for next year, how about utilities and auto expenses and repairs

MyVirtualCPA :

No those are not tax deductible unless they are for a business purpose

MyVirtualCPA :

Is there anything else?

Customer:

do I file my 1040 now along with the extension or can I file it later but before Oct 15

MyVirtualCPA :

You can file it later, but on or before October 15

Customer:

so there is no free follow up to this session

MyVirtualCPA :

You can come back here and ask me questions even after you rate

Customer:

can i use my prescription drug cost and my doctors office visits as tax deductions

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, those are medical expenses

Customer:

I can ask you questions only now while i am connected to you, how about my expense to go to the doctors office and to the drug store

MyVirtualCPA :

No, you can come back later and ask questions

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, the expense of the doctor visit and drug store is tax deductible

Customer:

thats what I thought I was doing today to my last expert but i got charged again, what was that all about

MyVirtualCPA :

I'm not certain. You'd have to contact customer service

MyVirtualCPA :

But, you can come back to this thread and ask me questions

MyVirtualCPA :

If you start a new question you would be charged again.

Customer:

you mean i cannot ask you anymore right now?

MyVirtualCPA :

Yes, you can ask me more questions if you want. Please rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer:

I tried to submit your rating but it ask me if I want to leave this page and I am not ready to leave yet

MyVirtualCPA :

You can still ask questions after you rate. I do this all the time with customers.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Hello Roland

Please respond to this message, if you need further assistance. I'll be more than happy to assist you with any follow up questions you may have.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How about home and auto insurance, life insurance etc... are they tax deductible?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
No these are not tax deductible unless they are for a business.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert thanks for your help, can I print out my tax forms and extension or do I have to have it typed?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
You can hand write but typed is better.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

expert can an ordinary guy like myself learn to do my own taxes, what do I have to study to do it correctly. Thanks

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes you can learn to do your own return. If look for a tax class at your local college or have a professional do your tax this year and sit with them and watch what they do. Turbo Tax and HR block products make it easy to do your own taxes. Thanks again for using JustAnswer and have a great day.