Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Related to previous question, for filing the State of Ohio

Related to previous question, for filing the State of Ohio income tax return, can I file my husband on the 1040EZ (married filing separately), and mine on the 1040 to itemize the medical expenses (married filing separately)?

Marsha

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
The form 1040EZ is not available if your filing status is "married filing separately" - so - that form is not allowed in your situation.
Then - if one spouse itemizes - another spouse may not use standard deduction and has to itemize.

LEV :

For state tax purposes - you may use Ohio form IT1040EZ only if you are not itemize.

Customer:

My mistake - I usually use a 1040 and Telefile. Am I still able to Telefile for my husband but itemize the medical deduction for me? When you say not use the standard deduction, are you referring to the personal exemption?

LEV :

Each of you may use the personal exemption - that is not an issue.
However deduction for medical expenses is included into itemize deduction. If your filing status is "married filing separately" - and if if one spouse itemizes - another spouse may not use standard deduction and has to itemize.

Customer:

On the state forms, I don't see a standard deduction amount? There is the personal exemption and exemption credit. If we both itemize, do we have to split the deductions? Or can I claim my personal medical expenses just on my itemization?

LEV :

the personal exemption is based on your personal and dependent exemptions - so if you are filing separate - each will claim ONE exemption.

Customer:

Ok - and do we need to split medical expenses that are only for me, or can I claim the total for me?

LEV :

You will deduct your medical expenses and your spouse will claim his medical expenses.

Customer:

Ok thanks.