Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner

Have W2 from one company, working in 2 states. OH through July,

Have W2 from one company, working in 2 states. OH through July, TN to year end.
Box 1 is combined amount, and Box 16 is split accordingly. OH state tax form is basing tax on Box 1 instead of Box 16. What can I do?
Welcome. THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make YOUR life, a little...LESS taxing.

Is the state of OH your residential state? If so, note that the state of OH taxes residents on their worldwide income. This would be the reason why OH state is basing the tax on Box 1. Also note that if OH is your state of residence, any taxes paid to the state of TN will be credited back to you by the state of OH.

Please let me know if this clarifies matters for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response. Box 17 has a state income tax amount of 2730.00, appropriate to the wages amount in Box 16, 65342.00 for the OH line of information. Also indicating on form that I am a part-time resident. Does any of this make a difference?

Hello again,

You are welcome. What state are you officially a resident of, OH, or TN? Again, if a resident of OH, you will be taxed on all of your income. If however, you are not a resident of OH, you should only be taxed on your OH sourced income for the state of OH. SEE BELOW:

Why is residency important?

Ohio imposes income tax on all income of resident individuals but only imposes tax on the income of nonresident individuals that is earned or received in Ohio. While residents receive a credit under R.C. 5747.05(B) for income subjected to tax in another state, the credit cannot exceed the tax paid to the other state on that income. In contrast, nonresidents receive a credit under R.C. 5747.05(A) to eliminate tax on income not earned or received in Ohio. So, for example, if the income is from a state that imposes no tax, a resident will get no credit but a nonresident will. However, if the income is from Ohio, both the resident and the nonresident will be subject to Ohio tax.

Thank you very much for the high rating and the generous bonus. I do appreciate it. Feel free to check back with me in the future if you have other tax or finance related questions. My username is tax.appeal.168. Even if prompted to do so, there is no need to respond to this post.