winktax, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18 years experience as an Enrolled Agent, insurance agent, stock broker and financial advisor.

I receive a very small pension, which was reported to me on

I receive a very small pension, which was reported to me on a 1099-R. The person in the retirement office told me to enter the data from the 1099-r as a w-2. Should I follow this advice, or enter it as a 1099-r?

winktax :

No, Form 1099R - Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement Plans. Should be entered on either Line 11 or 12 Form 1040A, Line 15 or 16 Form 1040.

winktax :

The line choice is determined by if box 7 on Form 1099R is checked (IRA box), Line 11 (1040A) / Line 15 (Form 1040). If the box is not checked then enter on the next line.

winktax :

The IRS computers match all 1099's. If you enter your information the wage line, the IRS computers will not match and you may receive a notice asking you to pay tax on the unreported pension/IRA income. Avoid this hassle by using the correct line.

winktax :

Enter the number from Box 1 on the 1099R on Line 11A or 15A, enter the number from Box 2 on Line 11B or 15B. Many Times the taxable amount (box 2) is different than the box 1 amount. The IRS matches both.