How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question

R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3330
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi Randall, I have an issue about my estimated tax payments

Customer Question

Hi Randall,
I have an issue about my estimated tax payments i am required to maketo the New Hampshire tax authorities. Blelow is my correspondance with an accountant on Just Answer.
Customer: If i made estimated tax payments in 2013 equal to my actual taxes paid in 2012 would this avoid the penalties and interest. let's assume that my actual tax liability was $4,000 in 2012. if i made 4 payments of $1,000 on time, would this avoid any penalties or interest associated with my 2013 taxes?

LEV : Unfortunately that would not guarantee.
NH estimate payments are not based on previous year tax liability as federal estimate taxes.
However - there would not be any underpayment penalty if you would pay at least 90% of your 2013 tax liability or if your remaining tax liability will be less than $500.
So far - if you will timely pay $4000 in estimate taxes - there will not be any underpayment penalty if your total 2013 tax liability would be less than $4500.
Customer: that is not what they told me. you may be incorrect. check out Exception pursuant to RSA 21-J:32,IV(b)

LEV : Yes - you are correct - you should be able to claim that as an exception - sorry for confusion -
Exception pursuant to RSA 21-J:32, IV(b) - Prior year’s tax base and facts using current period tax rate. Multiply your prior year taxable base by the current tax rate to arrive at an adjusted tax. Multiply the adjusted tax by the percentage shown in the boxes on Line 12, Columns A through D to calculate the exception amounts. If the amounts shown on Line 9 Columns A through D are greater than or equal to Line 13 corresponding Columns A through D, you qualify for exception (b).

LEV : You still need to file the form to claim that exception.

I believe Lev is correct in his correction. My accountant does not think so. Here is my correspondance with her.

Hi Al,
I don’t think you can use RSA 21-J32 IV(a) as your estimated tax payment calculation for 2013, I think you have to meet at least 90% of your expected tax liability instead of 100% of 2012 liability.
To use RSA 21-J32 prior year must have been a full 12 months. You are part year resident of NH and you do not have 12mo.

Hi Hiromi,
Attached is the 2012 NH DP-2210-2220. The relevant line is #11 which allows me to make 2013 tax payments at 100% of my 2012 tax liability. I believe this form is filed with my 2013 NH interest and Dividend next year.

Please advise
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I am a moderator for this topic. I sent your requested Professional, fastfile a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I need the answer by 5pm today. thank you

Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for contacting me about your Tax issue. I will work hard to help you understand the issue clearly.

I do not have expertise in this specific topic. I will need to opt out.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Wendy Reed's Avatar

    Wendy Reed

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    15+ years tax preparation and tax advice.
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • MequonCPA's Avatar


    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    CPA, Over 30 yrs experience w/individuals and small businesses. Masters in Tax.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience