Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I mistakenly deducted my health insurance premiums for Ohio

Customer Question

I mistakenly deducted my health insurance premiums for Ohio state taxes. My federal taxes didn't change because I didn't file long form.

I have to file an amended tax for Ohio but since the amendment doesn't change my federal taxes, do I need to file a amendment for federal to notify them that my state tax return will change?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
No you are not required to advise the federal of an amended state return. As long as your federal return was not effected that would not be required. The federal when amended, advises the state involved because so many issues on federal relate or are carried over to the state return, so that is why it is important to check the state when you amend the federal. If your only change involves the state return you need not do anything for federal.

Robin D :

Any state refund or taxes that are due because of the amended return would not be relevant until your 2013 filing.

Customer :

Is there somewhere I can read this in the irs rules?

Robin D :

Not just in one rule unfortunately. It would be by applying any relevant rule to the situation. I can give you IRC on federal amended returns and when they are needed or required if that would assist you.

Customer :

I was concerned because the program I use (FreeTaxUSA) told me to print out the federal and the address where to mail the federal amended 1040X form but nothing changed on it....

Robin D :

Oh, that could be becuase most programs start with the federal return and to change the state or even access the state to chnage the fedral must be addressed too, even if no change is needed.

Robin D :

change* sorry

Customer :

ok...... and that's the way this program works.. Federal first and then state

Robin D :

Most do

Customer :

But nothing needs to be mailed to federal, correct?

Robin D :

As long as you were not changing anything that was reported on the original federal return then you should not send it

Robin D :

it would cause confusion at the IRS

Customer :

Nothing was changed.... just the insurance mistake on state.

Robin D :

Do not send the federal then, keep the copy but do not mail it.

Customer :

THANK YOU!!

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.
I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question.

Customer :

Will do..

Robin D :

Then, thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Please let me know if you have difficulty rating.