Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I am a U.S. citizen going for training in the United Kingdom.

I am a U.S. citizen going for training in the United Kingdom. Do I have to pay VAT?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
VAT is a tax that is charged on goods and services. You asked "Do I have to pay VAT?"
Yes you will if you make purchases while in the UK.

Customer:

I won't be in the UK when I make the purchase.

Robin D :

Where will you be and what type of purchase are you making?

Customer:

I will be in the U.S. and I will pay for training that will take place in London for 3 days. My LLC will be paying for the training.

Robin D :

So you are asking about VAT on the price of the training. What type of training is this?

Customer:

I'm a life coach. It will be professional coach training.

Robin D :

Thnanks, one sec please while I see if that is exempt.

Robin D :

Thanks*sorry

Customer:

no worries

Robin D :

The establishments that require payment for the education they provide, so their education is a business activity such as these:

• independent fee paying schools, including non-maintained special schools

• universities; and

• institutions teaching English as a foreign language

Robin D :

will charge VAT

Robin D :

This is because the service will be in the UK

Customer:

Yes, they charge VAT, but non-EU citizens are exempt from paying VAT in certain circumstances. I'm wondering if this is one of them.

Robin D :

Unfortunately no because you are going to physically be in the UK when you receive the service (the training).

Customer:

Thank you! That's what I wanted to know :)

Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience: 15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I called the UK Tax office. My company will pay no VAT.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.
Why is that because the VAT info applied the tax because of the service being in the EU country, if you do not mind my asking.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know. Why don't you give them a call? +44 XXXXXXXXXX /p>