Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have an individual that is a resident alien and is married

I have an individual that is a resident alien and is married to a U.S citizen. He has wages from a company in Mexico and is paid in pesos. He received form showing salaries (423,025 pesos)
How do i report these wages in the invidual 1040?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. All income on the tax return must be expressed in the taxpayer's functional currency - in this case, it's US Dollars. So, what you would need to do is translate the pesos to US Dollars as of the year end, and report the USD amount on the tax return. You can CLICK HERE to read about it on the IRS Web site. There's also links on that site to government websites that you can locate an exchange rate on. I would just translate as of the last day of the year.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I understand that it has to be reported. Can you tell me where in the Form 1040. Also, can he file form 2555 and get the exclusion. He did pay Mexican taxes

This would be on line 7 as wages, and he could claim form 2555 and claim the exclusion since it is foreign earned wages.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, you have really helped. I have one more question. Here's where you have helped me. The income earned in foriegh country (mexico in this case) by a US resident citizen is taxable and I now know it is reported on line 7 of the 1040. I also know that I can file form 2555. I want to know if this income is subject to self employment taxes. The individual worked for a Mexican company and paid Mexican taxes.

Thank you for your follow up. No, these wages are not subject to self employment taxes. An employee gets no medicare or social security credit for work in a foreign country. This is not self employment - this is employment abroad.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.