Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I receive retirement from California but live in Arizona. Currently

I receive retirement from California but live in Arizona. Currently I am not having any CA state tax withheld from my monthly pension. If I elect to have CA state taxes withheld, would I file a non-resident with CA next year, and would I also have to pay tax on the same pension to AZ as well?? This is all so confusing....thanks!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. If you do not live in California you do not have to pay tax to California on your pension. This is true even though you worked in California to earn the pension. There's a federal law that prohibits states from taxing pensions from work performed in the state, unless the worker still resides in that state. Therefore, the only tax you have to worry about paying is to Arizona.

So, you don't need CA tax withheld from your monthly pension.

Please let me know if you need anything else additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the quick response. Just so I'm clear....I don't need to have CA taxes withheld, but I will need to file a state tax return with Arizona (and the IRS of course) for the retirement pay I received from California last year?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Yes, you are correct. You do not need California tax withheld from your pension, but you do need to file a state tax return with Arizona for the pension you received from work performed in California.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for the help!! Hope you have a great day and weekend!!

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
You too - please don't forget to rate my response "excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Thanks!
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer. For the quickest service, please post a new question.