Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918
Tax

what is the statute of limitations for the state of North Carolina

for a tax lien for... Show More
for a tax lien for state taxes?
Category: Tax
replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I hope you are doing well today. I'm sorry, but I believe I have some news that you do not want to hear. In North Carolina, a tax lien is valid until the tax debt associated with it is paid in full. That means that a tax lien in North Carolina does not expire.

You can read about that, HERE.

I'm sorry that this is not the news you wanted to hear. Had there been better news to report, I would have been thrilled to give you that news. However, I have a duty to give you an accurate answer so that you can make decisions based on your actual circumstance. Please don't shoot the messenger!

Please let me know if you need further assistance. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer reply replied 3 years ago.

the tax lien was on the property which they have taken would there be a way that they could release it? It has been 11 and 13 years and he just found out about it. He hasn't lived in North Carolina for 13 years.

Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You would need to contact the North Carolina department of revenue to work out an arrangement with them. In my experience, if no arrangements to pay tax have been made, states are typically reluctant to release the lien.

My suggestion would be to hire a local accountant in North Carolina and see if they can resolve this issue for you. A tax professional knows the ropes and are typically more successful in getting liens removed than someone is on their own. However, there's no guarantee that they will release the lien.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. I really enjoyed working with you – please feel free to request me again when you come back to ask another question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer