Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

My father, (who was German and never lived in America) passed

Customer Question

My father, (who was German and never lived in America) passed away a year and a half ago and my two brothers and I inherited a apartment in a single family home in Germany.
The apartment will now be sold and I will get a small sum of money. I am now an American citizen. Do I have to pay taxes (and what kind?) on that money?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good evening. You will owe no inheritance tax. But, if the amount is more than $100,000, you will be required to file Form 3520 with the IRS to report the receipt of these funds. There will be no tax; this is simply a reporting form. If $100,000 or less, you have no tax and no reporting requirement.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience: 29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It will be way less than 100.000 and do I understand correct, I can transfer the money from my account in Germany to my Bank account in Florida and not worry about the IRS?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for replying. Yes, that's correct.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help!