R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
63817126

Client stopped making payments on their home at start of 2012.

Client stopped making payments on their home at start of 2012. They moved out of home in March 2012. They received a 1099-A for their first mortgage and 1099-C on their HELOC. All HELOC proceeds went towards major improvements. Need to understand where to report both of these forms (not sure that 1099-A has to be reported at all) and what numbers to report.

The 1099-C reports 3/22/12 date of identifiable event with $133700 discharged.

The 1099-A reports 9/12/12 date of lenders acquisition/abandonment, appx $550000 in box 2, $475000 in box 4 and checked that borrower is personally liable for repayment. This is an Arizona loan, FYI.

Please help me to determine where/how to report these two forms.

Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

Randalltax : Yes, since the HELOC was over 100k but it went to home improvements, it is protected under the home debt forgiveness laws.
Randalltax : The 1099c will not be taxable income, but Form 982 will be required with the return to show the reason thisis not taxable.
Randalltax : Yes, you do nothing with the 1099A forms for the tax return.
Customer:

I just read my question and realized I didn't mention that this was a foreclosure (though it was probably obvious). Want to confirm this doesn't change your answer.

Customer:

For the 1099-C, I'll report it on Form 982 Part I with nothing in Part II? And then just hold onto the 1099-A in case they send a 1099-C for that mortgage for 2013 or whenever.

Randalltax :

Foreclosure doesn't change the answer.

Randalltax :

Form 982 Use Part I

R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience: Over 20 Years experience
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

FYI - this answer did not end up being correct. Because it is a foreclosure on a recourse loan, it is treated as a sale. The sale should be reported on Schedule D. This ended up being a non-deductible personal loss, but should still be reported on the return if for no other reason than to facilitate IRS matching against the 1099-A received. The simple answer that "it doesn't need to be reported on the return" was not accurate and more information should have been sought before this answer was given. Thankfully, I followed up with additional people, and ultimately the NATP Tax Research service because I didn't feel completely confident in this answer.