Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I work in California for a New York-based company. I have

I work in California for a New York-based company. I have rental income from an apartment I still own in New York City and I worked about twelve days in New York. Do I need to file a NY Non Resident Tax return and, if so, how do I allocate my salary between Ca and NY?
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. You will still need to file a non-resident New York return, claiming the income from your rental property there. Working there 12 days is not enough to have to owe tax on your earnings in that state.

So, you will be taxed in New York for your New York sourced income only, which is your rental income.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great night.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

What is the upper limit of days that I may work in NY before I have to allocate income between California and New York?

In order to allocate income between California and New York you would need to be a resident of both places. There's not a limit of days per se, but it would be if you were a resident. 12 days in a state during the year is not enough to establish residency.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great night.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer