Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

my tax return was filed late sub s

my tax return was filed late sub s
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Hello. How can we help you today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my account file and extenition on my sub chapter s corp. I have file entention before . i got a letter charger me 2730.00 195 for each person . i owed no tax

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. I would send the notice to your accountant. If they filed an extension for you they should be able to get the penalties abated since you had extra time to file.

Unfortunately, the IRS does charge $195 per person for the failure to file or late filing of an S corp, even if no tax is due. However, if you did have an extension and you filed on time with the extension you should have no penalty.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my accountant had back surgery. I have not been able to reach her. What is the penalty if any. And how do i resolve this . They ask for a reason .
1 i lost my job

2 they forclosed on my house

3 i had to file bk

4 my mother got cancer

5 i had to put my dauther in drug re hab

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Your reason would be that you filed an extension, and then filed your return on time with the extension.

The penalty could be abated in the following circumstances:

1. The shareholders' individual returns are timely filed
  2. The corporation has never had the penalty waived before (easy since this is the first year of the penalty)
  3. The corporation does not have any unfiled returns and
  4. The corporation does not have a history of late filing

So, if you filed your return online with the S corp information, never had the penalty waived before, do not have any unfiled returns, and do not have a history of filing late then the IRS will likely abate your penalties.

They will not abate your penalty, unfortunately, for the issues that you outlined in your response.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is tax code 6699 a i

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. The code is

Sec. 6699. Failure to file S corporation return

(a) General Rule.--In addition to the penalty imposed by section 7203 (relating to willful failure to file return, supply information, or pay tax), if any S corporation required to file a return under section 6037 for any taxable year--

(1) fails to file such return at the time prescribed
therefor (determined with regard to any extension of time for
filing),

Please let me know if you need anything additional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Then this code has to do with not filing a return. So they are wrong. I filed but late. Is this correct. And where do they get 195 per person per month.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. You filed a late return, and that's where they get the $195 per person per month. This is the penalty for S Corporations with no tax due.

This is noted in the instructions to the 1120S, which is available HERE

Late filing of return. A penalty may be charged if the return is filed after the due date (including extensions) or the return does not show all the information required, unless each failure is due to reasonable cause. See Caution, earlier. For returns on which no tax is due, the penalty is $195 for each month or part of a month (up to 12 months) the return is late or does not include the required information, multiplied by the total number of persons who were shareholders in the corporation during any part of the corporation's tax year for which the return is due. If tax is due, the penalty is the amount stated above plus 5% of the unpaid tax for each month or part of a month the return is late, up to a maximum of 25% of the unpaid tax. The minimum penalty for a return that is more than 60 days late is the smaller of the tax due or $135.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

so what schould i do.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
If you filed your return on time and claimed the S corp income on your return, and this is the first time you have filed a late return and there are no missing returns then you should ask for an abatement of the penalty.

If you do not meet those criteria, then the IRS is not likely to abate the penalty, but you could still ask. However the IRS only grants these exceptions for the issues I noted in the above post.

To abate the penalty, write a letter to the IRS center issued on the notice, indicating that you meet the criteria to have the penalty abated.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have file extension before

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Yes, but you have to file your return by the extension due date. If you did not then that is why you are getting this notice.

If you filed an extension and filed your return on time, then you would need to show proof that you filed your return by the deadline of the extension and also prove that you sent in the extension. This is why having your tax preparer take care of this would be easier, because they should have all of those records available for you.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks for using JustAnswer.com and have a great night.

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer