Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Only daughter of US widowed father with assets. How are the

Only daughter of US widowed father with assets. How are the taxes calculated on inheritance. By the way I'm not a US citizen.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your father. An inheritance is one of the only situations where there is no tax due. So, you will owe no federal income tax on the inheritance. There is also no tax by the state of New York either.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not financial or legal advice, and must not be used as such. For financial and legal advice, please contact a local professional.*
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There must be something to pay but maybe I'm not using the right words. Can you confirm what has to be paid on one's inheritance. Thanks

No, there's nothing to pay. When you inherit money there is no tax on that money. You are using the correct words. An inheritance is tax free. There is no tax to pay to the federal government. There is also no tax to be paid to New York.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

last question: does that also apply to a property? Thanks for your help

Yes, this applies to property too. You are not taxed when you inherit property.

Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer