Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations

My daughter has had a friend file her state and federal taxes

My daughter has had a friend file her state and federal taxes using Turbo Tax. She told me the state tax form that was submitted was rejected. She didn't know why, but in talking to her I found that her friend filed for her using her married name. Her maiden name and a previous address are on the W2 form. Would the name change and address change on the form, which won't match what is on the w2 form, cause her tax form to be rejected? Also, if a letter was sent to explain the reason for rejection, it will go to her old address. Do you have any way to help?

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
If she change name - she need to update her record with the Social Security Administration. The IRS system gets updates automatically - but that might take several days.
When the tax returns is filed - the IRS verified if the name and the SSN on the tax return match what they have - and in case of mismatch - the tax return is rejected. That likely what happened with your daughter.
To have her tax return accepted - she need to use the name that is currently registered in the Social Security Administration.