Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Is there a per diem allowed for people working in international

Customer Question

Is there a per diem allowed for people working in international waters (as on oil platforms)
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Generally no, as the individual is fed and is provided lodging by the employer.

Robin D :

If the US person is working in international waters they also may not use the Form 2555 to exclude their income for taxation. This is because they are not in another country working, unfortunately.

Robin D :

The system showed you were typing, then you stopped/

Robin D :

Are you have difficulty replying?

Robin D :

I can change from CHAT to regular Q&A

JACUSTOMER-x6do4wtk- :

My client was told that his friend at work have a CPA in New Orleans that allows a $15 or $30 per day per diem since they are more than 100 miles from home

Robin D :

I am sure there is one that would do that but a per diem is to allow for the expense on the side of the employee

Robin D :

they do not have expenses for food and lodging

JACUSTOMER-x6do4wtk- :

ok I'll keep checking. Thank you

Robin D :

Your positive rating is always thanks enough.

If you could also participate in the very short survey that Just Answer will send you by e-mail I would appreciate that very much.

Robin D :

The system requires I ask what part of the answer you were not clear about?

Robin D :

The regular federal per diem rate is the highest amount the federal government will pay to its employees for lodging, meal, and incidental expenses (or meal and incidental expenses only) while they are traveling away from home in a particular area. The rates are different for different locations. Publication 1542 lists the rates in the continental United States.

Robin D :

Under the convenience-of-the-employer rule, an employee may exclude from gross income the value of meals and lodging furnished to him by his employer if the employer furnished both the meals and lodging for its own convenience, furnished the meals on its business premises, and required the employee to accept the lodging on the business premises as a condition of employment. 26 U.S.C. § 119 (1976 ed., Supp.III

Robin D :

The only thing the employee would be possibly allowed would be milegae for gettint to the pick up for transport to the rig.

Robin D :

mileage*sorry

Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

You rated but did not respond as to what part of the information you did not understand. The system requires I ask you what would you need in addition to the correct information I supplied?

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.