Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level

Need to amend 2012 return to include unreported miscellaneous income

Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using In order to file an amended return you will need to complete a form 1040X. To complete this form, I would go ahead and fill out a tax return claiming the miscellaneous income. Do not send this in, it is just to help you fill out the amended return. Then, on 1040X in column A, put your original return information in. In column B, enter in the information from the return you filled out claiming the other income. Column C is the difference between columns A & B.

Don't worry about Part II, as you are not changing anything there. In Part III type up a response that says you are amending your return to claim previously unclaimed income.

Do not file this return until you you have received your refund from your original return. Mail the form 1040X to the service center listed in the instructions.

You can find 1040X, HERE.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks for allowing me the opportunity to help you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you in this matter. Also if you ever need anything else in the future please Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question Thanks again for being a JustAnswer customer