Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

It is my understanding that if you are self-employed and work

It is my understanding that if you are self-employed and work in Hong Kong, you do not have to pay the United States Social Security Tax and Medicare Tax, as well as the Unemployment Taxes -- taxes referred to collectively as "the payroll taxes."

I want to confirm this understanding, and also ask if this applies to working in Indonesia.

Thank you.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
Unfortunately that is not the case. If you are a US citizen and are self employed abroad, yo can exclude your income up to the limit yearly allowed but this does not apply to SE tax which is effectively the Social Security and Medicare tax.

Robin D :

This applies to any place that a US person is abroad.

Robin D :

If you are a self-employed U.S. citizen or resident, the rules for paying self-employment tax are generally the same whether you are living in the United States or abroad.

Robin D :

You must take all of your self-employment income into account in figuring your net earnings from self-employment, even income that is exempt from income tax because of the foreign earned income exclusion.

Robin D :

The United States has entered into social security agreements with foreign countries to coordinate social security coverage and taxation of workers employed for part or all of their working careers in one of the countries. These agreements are commonly referred to as Totalization Agreements. Under these agreements, dual coverage and dual contributions (taxes) for the same work are eliminated. The agreements generally make sure that social security taxes (including self-employment tax) are paid only to one country.

Robin D :

We have no such Agreement with Hong Kong