How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JKCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5883
Experience:  CPA with tax experience.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
JKCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax question about payroll filings. Suppose the

This answer was rated:

I have a tax question about payroll filings.

Suppose the IRS 941's were just barely filed and received by the IRS. The electronic filing deadline was missed so they were mailed in.

The Business Payroll filing with for the W2 reports was just filed today.

How long should employees of this business wait to file their personal 1040's with the IRS to ensure the payroll records have been received and processed by the government considering the employer was really late on filing payroll reports with and the IRS?

Thanks for your question.

The employees do not have to wait to file their tax returns simply because the employer was late in filing reports.

The employees should file their returns when the returns are due (April 15th or by the extended due date if extended). If an employee needs a W-2 to file their personal return and they haven't received it by Jan. 31, they should contact their employer. If they then do not receive it by Feb. 14, the employee should contact the IRS and they will be sent a Form 4852 to file with their return. For reference, see

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Helpful answer and link, but the W-2's are submitted through the website. When the IRS asks the employer for the W-2s are they really asking them to file the paperwork with the Social Security Administration?

Yes. The government copies of the Form W-2's are filed by the employer with the SSA. However, the SSA then shares the data with the IRS. So essentially, when the employer files with the SSA, they are also filing with the IRS.

I'm assuming you must be talking about prior year W-2's. The W-2's for 2012 are not due to be filed with SSA until Feb. 28th, 2013 if paper-filed.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was talking about 2012. I submitted the W-2s online yesterday through The SSA website said it takes 4 weeks to process them. My employees want to know if they can file their taxes now. I was worried my employees would try to file their taxes and the SSA would still be processing my W-2 submissions.

The employees can file their return as soon as they get their employee copy (which was due Jan. 31). They do not have to wait for government processing of these forms.

The SSA may take 4 weeks to process but full IRS processing of W-2's takes over a year usually. The IRS will not start comparing what was reported by the employee versus what was reported on the employer W-2 copies for about a year or two.

Hope this clears this concern for you.



Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5883
Experience: CPA with tax experience.
JKCPA and 4 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wow, I thought it would be done immediately. Thanks for the helpful details.

You're welcome. Thanks for the positive rating.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
< Previous | Next >
  • I really was impressed with the prompt response. Your expert was not only a tax expert, but a people expert!!! Her genuine and caring attitude came across in her response... T.G.W Matteson, IL
  • I WON!!! I just wanted you to know that your original answer gave me the courage and confidence to go into yesterday's audit ready to fight. Bonnie Chesnee, SC
  • Great service. Answered my complex tax question in detail and provided a lot of additional useful information for my specific situation. John Minneapolis, MN
  • Excellent information, very quick reply. The experts really take the time to address your questions, it is well worth the fee, for the peace of mind they can provide you with. Orville Hesperia, California
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA

Meet The Experts:

  • Wallstreet Esq.

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
< Last | Next >
  • Wallstreet Esq.'s Avatar

    Wallstreet Esq.

    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    10 years experience
  • Mark D's Avatar

    Mark D

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
  • Richard's Avatar


    Tax Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
  • Robin D.'s Avatar

    Robin D.

    Senior Tax Advisor 4

    Satisfied Customers:

    15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
  • Megan C's Avatar

    Megan C

    Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
  • jgordosea's Avatar


    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
  • R. Klein, EA's Avatar

    R. Klein, EA

    Enrolled Agent

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 20 Years experience