Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

Hello, I have a few questions regarding filing taxes for

I have a few questions regarding filing taxes for this year.

Here's my situation:
1. I live (rent) in Wyncote, PA.
2. I work in Horsham, PA and make about $80000.
3. I own a Wyoming based LLC (100% ownership), used to sell books on Amazon.com. I don't have a physical office since the books are being drop-shipped.
4. I have a rental property in St Louis, MO.

I have very good bookkeeping for the LLC. Now, I would like to transfer 50% ownership to my fiance. Her situation:

1. She works in Philadelphia, PA for the first 6 months of 2012, making approximately $25000.
2. She is not a US citizen and has relocated to Asia since August, 2012.
3. She is currently unemployed.

Now, is it too late to amend the structure of the LLC to include her as a partner and file the LLC's 2012 taxes as a partnership? Are there any benefits in doing so?

Also, what forms do I and my fiance need to file taxes for 2012?

If I want to hire an accountant, should I hire one in PA, MO, or WY?

About how much (approximate is okay) will filing for taxes cost?

What questions should I ask the CPA when I interview for one to make sure they are qualified.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking your question! I'm sorry to hear about your tax issue and I'm going to try my best to help you understand or resolve it.

Thank you for your question, and thanks for using JustAnswer.com. Let's go through each of your questions:

Now, is it too late to amend the structure of the LLC to include her as a partner and file the LLC's 2012 taxes as a partnership? Are there any benefits in doing so? Yes, it is too late now. You can amend the structure and from that point forward be a partnership, but you can't do that retrospectively. The benefits of having a partnership is that you would spread the income over two people's taxes, and if your girlfriend is in a lower tax bracket less total tax will be paid. Once you get married, then there is no benefit to having a partnership.

Also, what forms do I and my fiance need to file taxes for 2012? You're going to have a 1040, schedule C, Schedule SE, and schedule E based on the information you have given. Your girlfriend will need a 1040.

If I want to hire an accountant, should I hire one in PA, MO, or WY? I would hire one in PA where you live, so you can see them face to face.

About how much (approximate is okay) will filing for taxes cost? Your tax situation could cost up to $1,000 to have your taxes done, because you have both a business and rental property, and two state tax returns (WY does not have state income tax). Between $500-1,000 would be the range I guess.

What questions should I ask the CPA when I interview for one to make sure they are qualified. You should ask them if they do much multi-state taxes, since you will have MO and PA tax. You should ask them if they work with many small businesses, and if they have worked with rental property.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice.**
You should be aware that your question, as with most tax questions, can never really be answered completely...addressing all the permutations; that is because of the many assumptions that have to be made I have done my best to determine what I think you are asking and answering it in the most direct and understandable manner possible. If, however, after reviewing the questions, you have any uncertainties or further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your prompt response. Also, I sourced some of my books for sale on Amazon.com from a foreign country. Currency is USD. I paid the publisher in a lump sum for all the books sourced in 2012 in February 2013. However, the publisher can give me a receipt dated in 2012. Can this count as cost in 2012? Also, is it better to ask the publisher to give me a few smaller amount receipts or 1 large, lump sum receipt?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing, I got an EIN for the LLC. Should I use this EIN to file taxes or should I use my person EIN to file taxes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is it true that partnership LLC is less likely to be audited than sole proprietorship LLC?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up

However, the publisher can give me a receipt dated in 2012. Can this count as cost in 2012? Also, is it better to ask the publisher to give me a few smaller amount receipts or 1 large, lump sum receipt? No. You deduct expenses in the year you pay for them. So, even though the receipt is dated 2012 you deduct in 2013.

I got an EIN for the LLC. Should I use this EIN to file taxes or should I use my person EIN to file taxes? You will note your EIN on your Schedule C, but you will still file the tax along with your personal tax.

Is it true that partnership LLC is less likely to be audited than sole proprietorship LLC? No. Both are equally likely to be audited.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO XXXXX UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice.**

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Here's the situation. I bought the books from the publisher in 2012 and most of the books were sold in 2012. I don't plan to operate the book selling business in 2013 since the margin is too low. I was supposed to pay the publisher in 2012 but due to multiple issues, I have been able to wire the money until now. So, can I still consider this an expense in 2012. Also, is there any rule in wiring $90,000 USD abroad?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Here's the situation. I bought the books from the publisher in 2012 and most of the books were sold in 2012. I don't plan to operate the book selling business in 2013 since the margin is too low. I was supposed to pay the publisher in 2012 but due to multiple issues, I have been able to wire the money until now. So, can I still consider this an expense in 2012. No. You are a cash basis taxpayer, and therefore you can only deduct expenses in the year incurred. I'm sorry if this is inconvenient.

Also, is there any rule in wiring $90,000 USD abroad? No.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

There are times when my fiance uses her personal credit card to help me buy the books in 2012 and I have all the receipts. And I always pay her back. She helped me pay for some books in Dec 2012 and I paid her back using the LLC bank account in Jan 2013. However, the receipts from the publisher says Dec 2012. What should I do in this instance.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
There are times when my fiance uses her personal credit card to help me buy the books in 2012 and I have all the receipts. And I always pay her back. She helped me pay for some books in Dec 2012 and I paid her back using the LLC bank account in Jan 2013. However, the receipts from the publisher says Dec 2012. What should I do in this instance. In this case, deduct the expense in 2012, that's when it was paid for from the publisher.

Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com and have a great day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

One more thing, while my fiance is in Asia. I gave her some personal money to buy stuff so that I can sell on Amazon. These receipts are in foreign currency and dated in 2012. Could I withdraw money from my llc bank account and pay myself back before filing for 2012 taxes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the date of money wiring considered the date of expense incurred?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
One more thing, while my fiance is in Asia. I gave her some personal money to buy stuff so that I can sell on Amazon. These receipts are in foreign currency and dated in 2012. Could I withdraw money from my llc bank account and pay myself back before filing for 2012 taxes. You gave her money, and she bought books in 2012. You can pay yourself back and claim these in 2012.

Is the date of money wiring considered the date of expense incurred? Yes. For a cash basis taxpayer it is.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can wire the money directly to the publisher in hong Kong, or I can wire the money from my llc bank account to my fiance's personal account directly, and she can write a check to the publisher. Which way is better for tax prep purposes? Or does it make a difference? I'm just trying to save money on the wire transaction fees.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
I can wire the money directly to the publisher in hong Kong, or I can wire the money from my llc bank account to my fiance's personal account directly, and she can write a check to the publisher. Which way is better for tax prep purposes? I would wire the money directly to the publisher. This would be the simplest way to keep track of your expenses for tax purposes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still don't quite understand.

If the date of wiring money is considered the date of expense incurred, then if I wire money to my fiance in 2013 to pay her for the stuff she bought in 2012 (and the receipts she gave me say 2012), then is it an expense in 2012 or 2013? Also, since I pay with my own credit card to buy books in 2012, if I transfer money from my llc bank account to my personal bank account in jan 2013, so that I can pay off my credit card ( billing cycle December, 2012). Is it considered an expense incurred in 2012 or 2013?

Moreover, I transfer money in and out of my llc and personal bank accounts since my llc account is often low on cash. Is this allowed? Does IRS review bank account transactions?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
If the date of wiring money is considered the date of expense incurred, then if I wire money to my fiance in 2013 to pay her for the stuff she bought in 2012 (and the receipts she gave me say 2012), then is it an expense in 2012 or 2013? 2012. The items were purchased in 2012.

since I pay with my own credit card to buy books in 2012, if I transfer money from my llc bank account to my personal bank account in jan 2013, so that I can pay off my credit card ( billing cycle December, 2012). Is it considered an expense incurred in 2012 or 2013? It is considered 2012 expense.

Moreover, I transfer money in and out of my llc and personal bank accounts since my llc account is often low on cash. Is this allowed?
Yes.

Does IRS review bank account transactions? If they audit you yes, but they will see where you transferred money from your personal account. This is not taxable.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What is not taxable?

Also, if the publisher receipt says 2012 and I wire the money in 2013., why is that considered a 2013 expense? And yet, when I wire money to my fiance in 2013 for the expenses incurred in 2012, then it's considered a 2012 expense?

In the event I get an audit, I can provide all the receipts that my fiance gave me, but how can I prove the reason I'm wiring her money from the llc bank account is to pay her for the stuff she bought for me to sell on amazon? The receipts only have the sales amount and the name of the publisher, but her name is XXXXX XXXXX it.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
What is not taxable? You do not have to pay tax on the money you transfer from your personal account to your business account.

Also, if the publisher receipt says 2012 and I wire the money in 2013., why is that considered a 2013 expense? And yet, when I wire money to my fiance in 2013 for the expenses incurred in 2012, then it's considered a 2012 expense? Your fiance paid for the books on your behalf. You were simply reimbursing her. You paid the publisher in 2013 for books when you wired the publisher those directly.

In the event I get an audit, I can provide all the receipts that my fiance gave me, but how can I prove the reason I'm wiring her money from the llc bank account is to pay her for the stuff she bought for me to sell on amazon? The receipts only have the sales amount and the name of the publisher, but her name is XXXXX XXXXX it. Have her invoice you for reimbursement for the books.

Please let me know if you need anything additional.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If she invoices me, then do I keep the receipts she gave me the bookkeeping for my llc? And if she invoices me and the invoice is for 2012, and I wire the money from my llc bank account into her bank account now, is it a 2012 or 2013 expense? What needs to go on the invoice? Does she need to list every single item she bought for the llc? Also, do I need to invoice my LLC if I pay with my credit card but the LLC directly writes a check to the credit card issuer?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Her invoice can be just a total, and then you would keep her invoice and her receipts as your backup. You do not need to invoice your LLC when you pay with your own credit card. For tax purposes you and your LLC are one unit.

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just so I understand this correctly.

Let's say I ask a friend to buy $3000 of stuff for me in Asia so that I can sell the stuff on amazon in 2012. Now, my friend gives me all the receipts ( in foreign currency, but totalling $3000 in usd) and I transfer the money from my llc bank account into his personal bank account in Feb 2013. I will get an invoice from my friend stating the total amount of $3000, dated Dec 2012. I will keep all the receipts for future audit purposes, but I will only enter $3000 as my expense ( not individual receipts from my friend) when I show my books to the tax preparer. Is that correct?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your follow up. Yes, you are correct.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I noticed some of the receipts have my friend's name as the recipient, some has my friend's foreign company's name as the recipient of the goods, and some are just store receipts and don't have any recipient name. Should I ask for 3 different invoices from my friend? Or is one invoice okay?

Also, I just want to make sure that IRS is okay with me counting these expenses as 2012 expenses even though I wire the money to pay my friend back in Feb 2013.

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your follow up. One invoice is okay. You should be fine with the IRS.

** Please take a moment to rate my response as "Excellent" so that I may be compensated for assisting you today. Please let me know if my assistance was anything less than "OK Service", as I am compensated based on whether or not I have assisted you with your issue. If you need further clarifications, PLEASE WAIT TO RATE MY ANSWER UNTIL AFTER RECEIVING FOLLOW UP FROM ME. If I receive anything less than OK Service, I do not get paid. Thank you for your kind understanding in this matter. If you have difficulties rating, then simply respond stating that you are having difficulties rating and thank me for my excellent, good, or ok service and we can get the rating applied by the site. This answer is not to be construed as financial or legal advice. Please contact a local tax professional, and do not rely on this assessment to avoid penalties or to make financial decisions. This is for informational purposes only**

Experience: Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please remember me the next time you have a question. Simply enter "MyVirtualCPA" in the subject of your question, and it will be routed directly to me. Thank you again for using JustAnswer