Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.

My employer wants to set me up from contract labor to being

Customer Question

My employer wants to set me up from contract labor to being on the payroll.. Should I do this I have back tax issues and I doubt I will get any kind of refund.. Should I stay self employed and just pay at the end out of pocket?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 3 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for your question.

If you are a true employee, your employer should be reporting you as a W-2 employee. If your employer has misclassified you as a subcontractor, he/she could owe back employment taxes upon an audit. The IRS is scrutinizing companies much more closely for this misclassification now.

Here is a link to the IRS website regarding subcontractor vs employee.

If you owe back taxes, this may be a way to help catch those up. Although you may not get a refund, it will assist in reducing your back tax owed and possibly make it so you don't increase your tax debt for 2012.

Let me know if you need further clarification.

I look forward to your response.