Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor

I live in California. In 2012 I had a baby and went on California

I live in California. In 2012 I had a baby and went on California SDI. Will I received a W-2 for those payments? I received a W-2 for Paid Family Leave, but not SDI. Please advise.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer,
You will only get a Form 1099-G if all or part of your SDI benefits are taxable. If your SDI benefits are taxable and you don't receive your Form 1099-G by mid-February, you may call EDD at(NNN) NNN-NNNNto get another copy.
SDI benefits are taxable only if paid as a substitute for unemployment insurance (UI) benefits. This could occur if a person was receiving UI benefits and then became disabled. When SDI benefits are received as a substitute for UI benefits, the SDI is taxable by the federal government but is not taxable by the State of California.

Robin D :

Thank you for your continued use of Just Answer.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So are SDI benefits taxable for maternity leave?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 3 years ago.
They are if you received the SDI instead of Unemployment Insurance payments. The taxable amount then would only be the amount of SDI that was taking the place of the UI.