Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Close to closing sale of a Florida timeshare to a Mexican firm. US

Close to closing sale of a Florida timeshare to a Mexican firm.
US escrow firm says seller must pay 19% tax before closing.
Escrow firm says that under NAFTA tax paid income received from
Mexico is tax-exempt in Canada
Is all of this correct?

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Because the property is NOT located in Canada and sellers are NOT Canadian residents - there is no withholding for Canadian tax purposes - but for US tax purposes only based on the location of the property.
General Rule is that the Foreign Investment in Real Property Tax Act (FIRPTA) requires a FIRPTA withholding tax of 10% of the amount realized on the disposition of all U.S. real property interests by a foreign person. A buyer of U.S. real property interest from a foreign investor is considered the (transferee) and also the withholding agent. The transferee must find out if the transferor is a foreign person. If the transferor is a foreign person and the transferee fails to withhold, the buyer may be held liable for the tax.
The foreign person disposing of a U.S. real property interest may have the 10% withholding reduced if certain conditions are met and Form 8288-B, Application for Withholding Certificate for Dispositions by Foreign Persons of U.S. Real Property Interests, is timely filed and accepted by the IRS.

LEV :

Reduced withholding certificates may be submitted under the following situations:
--The disposition of the U.S real property interest takes place under one of the non-recognition provisions of the Internal Revenue Code.
--When the transferor’s maximum tax liability on the disposition is less than the amount otherwise required to be withheld.
--The transferor or transferee wants to come under certain installment sale rules.
--The transferor or transferee enters into an agreement with the IRS by posting a type of security (letter of credit, bond, etc.).
--The transferor or transferee may enter into a 12 month agreement with the service to obtain a “blanket withholding certificate” for multiple properties.
--A nonstandard application may be submitted for unique situations that do not fit into the above categories.

Customer:

Unable to read your answer. How do I widen the space?

Customer:

Unable to read answer from Lev

Customer:

Lev

Customer:

Lev, Would realy to read your answer and rate service for you.

LEV : Let me switch to Q&A mode... Please stay with me...
Customer:

Lev

Customer:

I am a senior and not used to 'Chat'. How do I widen the space between the

Customer:

two small arrows so I can read your answer?

Customer:

Dean

LEV : Dean please let me some time and refresh your screen in a few mins.
Customer:

Has Lev gone away to do research? Will he be back? How do I refresh screen?

Hi Dean,
Let me switch to Q&A mode...
I posted the answer below.
Please be sure to ask for clarification if needed.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

LEV :

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Lev

Note: Seller is Canadian resident in Ontario

Property is in Florida, USA

Buyer is Mexican

Does this not change your answer?

Dean

11:00 P.M.

Anxious to receive your reply. Do you need more inmation?

Must retire now. Will check email tomorrow afternoon.

Wish to receive your reply and give you an OK rate.

Dean

Because the property is located in the US - the gain - if any - realized from the sale will be subject of US income taxes and US withholding rules.
Withholding is made from the payment due to the seller.
Withholding is NOT the tax liability. The purpose of withholding - to cover possible tax liability. To determine the tax liability - the seller will need to file his/her tax return and calculate the tax liability. If the actual tax liability is less that withholding - the seller will claim a refund.
The tax liability is based on the gain realized from the sale.
The gain = (selling price) - (basis - mainly that is the original purchase price plus improvements) - (selling expenses)
If the buyer is from Mexico or from any other place would not affect the tax liability or withholding requirements of the seller..
Let me know if you need any help.