How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 6107
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband works for the city police department in our town.

This answer was rated:

My husband works for the city police department in our town. They don't withhold any social security taxes. Instead they have a pension that 10% of his pay goes into each paycheck and then the city matches it as well. I was doing our taxes and with my information we had over $1000 for a refund and then when I put his information in it dropped to $300 some. We have a child. He didn't start with the police department until September of last year (he worked up until then at a local retail store in loss prevention). So he has two W2's. I put in both and we will basically owe because we owe payment for the first time home buyer credit. Do we have to do something special because of his pension? Does it even make a difference in our refund amount?

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

It shouldn't have any affect on your tax return. There's no deduction for social security taxes.


So our refund is correct then? Even though we have a child (which is a $1000 credit).

Stephen G :

One thing that you should check is that on your husband's W2. when you enter it into your tax information, you want to make sure that you haven't entered the wages in the computer program as social security wages in addition to the gross wages.


Ok, thank you :)

Stephen G. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble please answer it; thanks, SEG

Related Tax Questions