How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie B. Your Own Question
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephanie B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I both claimed HOH for 2011, due to a typo in

This answer was rated:

My husband and I both claimed HOH for 2011, due to a typo in address and the preparer was unaware. We both received child tax credit. Me for my two children and him for his ONE child. I noticed the discrepancy while reviewing my taxes and would like to know if I should file an amendment and pay back whatever we were not eligible for or leave well enough alone.

Thank you for your question.

If you have filed an incorrect tax return, you should file an amended return to correct it.

You say you and your husband both filed as head of may both need to file amended tax returns. If you were married and lived in the same home the last half of the year, neither of you can claim HOH. You can file MFJ or MFS.

The child tax credit may not be an issue but if there was earned income tax credit, that could be an issue.

If you need further clarification, please let me know.

I look forward to your response.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Forgive my ignorance. Are you able to view the returns? I am at a loss and really worried I will owe a lot of money :(


I think my tax rep is sketchy...

I don't suggest posting your information on the forum for me to review because this is a public forum. However, I do suggest finding a reputable EA or CPA in your area to review them and discuss your concerns.
Stephanie B. and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you