How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave CPA Your Own Question
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I both claimed Head of household last year because

This answer was rated:

My husband and I both claimed Head of household last year because there was an error on the tax prepares part and an error in the address. We both received tax credits for our children. We both received a pretty hefty return. I was reviewing my docs from 2011 and noticed the discrepancy. Should I file an amendment and fix the address? This will effect the refund we received and I will probably wind up owing money, but I would rather do this than the IRS see it first. Is this a good option? Should I leave it alone?

Welcome to Just Answer,

You should file a 1040X, which is an amended return and clear up the error. You don't want to leave it alone. Most tax web sites like Turbo Tax will allow you to complete a 1040X and amend a prior year return. Please let me know if you have any questions before you rate my answer. A positive rating is what I strive for. Regards, Dave
Dave CPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you