Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My mother-in-law lives at an assisted living facility where

My mother-in-law lives at an assisted living facility where she receives 24 hour supervision, but not medical care. She is 95+ years old and has little cognitive ability which means her decisions/actions are unsafe. My wife provides all access for medical needs, assuring she has medications, takes the medications, and provides all transportation for medical appointments. Can the assisted living facility expense be used as an tax deduction on here tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

LEV :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
According to IRS publication 502 - www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

You can include in medical expenses the cost of medical care in a nursing home, home for the aged, or similar institution, for yourself, your spouse, or your dependents. This includes the cost of meals and lodging in the home if a principal reason for being there is to get medical care.

LEV :

Considering her age and health condition - I would assume that that the principal reason for being in the assisted living facility for your mother-in-law indeed is to get medical care (including nursing services) despite that she receives other medical treatments from other sources.
So far - I do not see any issues with deducting the assisted living facility expenses as medical expenses.

LEV :

Please let me know if you need any clarification.

LEV :

Can you see the answer I posted?

Customer:

Assisted living only provides a safe place to live (small room, bath and kitchenette and meals (but, no medical care. They do assure that she receives and takes her medications in a correct and timely fashion. Assisted living, at least in Texas, is NOT licensed to give medical care. The only nurse on staff is only responsible for maintaining medications which are delivered to each individual daily. There are no MD visits, patient must go to MD offices for any treatments, examinations, RX, etc. I hope this additional information helps. Thank you. My previous rating was given because I thought I lost you. Thanks for returning.

Customer:

Thank you. Is this something that you will research, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Customer:

Thank you.

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations