Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I recieved a letter from the Irs stating I didnt file my returns

Customer Question

I recieved a letter from the Irs stating I didn't file my returns for year 2011. I filed and sent them via Taxact on line. They recieved the money owed but did not get the return forms that I filled out on line. I need to resubmit regardless of who screwed up and I'd like to to it electronically.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 4 years ago.

Stephen G :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything that is not clear.

Stephen G :

You need to file a paper return & enclose the notice you received from the IRS with your return. As long as they acknowledged receipt of your money, there should be no problem. They won't accept 2011 returns via electronic filing now.

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

That isn't what they told me.

Stephen G :

The problem is the level of the people who answer the phone at the IRS. What is the problem with filing a paper return?

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

Nothing except I did it once or at least I thought I did?

Stephen G :

Did what once? file a paper return?

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

No sir, e-file with the Tax Act online service.

Stephen G :

Electronic filing is great until something goes wrong. Sure, but there was some sort of problem; I wouldn't want to file that same return electronically even if I could. You need too make it as simple as possible for the IRS. They already have you separated into the non-filing mode, so the simplest way to get out of that category is to file a paper return along with the notice.

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

Ok, that makes me disappointed after paying this for the filing but I'll do it.

Stephen G :

Here's a link confirming what I told you re prior year returns

Stephen G :

http://www.priortax.com/filing-late-taxes/can-you-e-file-prior-year-returns/

Stephen G :

Life is full of these little disappointments :]

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

I have past years taxes already. The issue is the Tax Act service and the filing. I paid the fees to get the so called deluxe service and I think I made a mistake.

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

Thank you for your time. It's obvious I'm going nowhere with this.

Stephen G :

You have 2 different issues; as you said, it makes no difference who or what was screwed up; the fact remains that you can't file prior year returns electronically.

JACUSTOMER-otvke6np- :

Thank you, have a nice day.

Stephen G :

If you need to contact me again with any tax or financial questions, you can just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question. Again, please remember to rate my response. Bonuses, where you think they are warranted, and excellent ratings, are always most appreciated. Thanks again for using JustAnswer.com.

You may get a short survey from the site; if it isn't too much trouble please answer it; thanks, SEG

Stephen G :

Please remember to rate my response to your question.

Stephen G :

Hello?

Stephen G :

Hello, are you available?